Restricted Driver’s License Instead of Suspension in Kansas
Kansas Legal Services offers an interactive interview to assist Kansans with suspended driver's licenses who want to request a restricted driver's license.
You can check the status of your Kansas Driver's License HERE for free on the Kansas Department of Revenue website.
Please read the information below to see if you want to make this request.
- Applies to traffic violations only (click here for list of offenses).
- Applies only to suspended driver’s licenses; not revoked licenses.
- Applies if you are in danger of having your driver’s license suspended because you cannot get the requirements of the court finished by the date given.
You will be allowed 1 year to complete the court requirements.
If you do not complete the requirements in 1 year, your driver’s license will be suspended.
For the one year you have a restricted license, you will be able to drive for the following reasons:
- To and from work or school
- To and from appointments with a health care provider
- To and from parole or probation meetings
- To and from drug and alcohol counseling
- To and from any place the court requires you to go In the course of employment
- In the event of a medical emergency
These are the ONLY PLACES allowed with the restricted license; if you are found driving elsewhere you will be in violation.
You have to give a written request to be considered for a restricted license instead of suspension to The Kansas Division of Vehicles: 785-296-3671
Division of Vehicles
You have to send $25 with the written request. This money WILL NOT be given back to you, even when you finish the requirements of the court, or even if your request is denied.
The fee is in addition to the reinstatement fee.
Make sure to include NAME and KANSAS DRIVER’S LICENCE NUMBER on the letter. You can make a request and get more information by using this interactive interview. Click here.