Restricted Driver’s License Instead of Suspension in Kansas

Kansas Legal Services offers an interactive interview to assist Kansans with suspended driver's licenses who want to  request a restricted driver's license.

You can check the status of your Kansas Driver's License HERE for free on the Kansas Department of Revenue website.  

Please read the information below to see if you want to make this request.


  •  Applies to traffic violations only (click here for list of offenses).
  •  Applies only to suspended driver’s licenses; not revoked licenses.
  •  Applies if you are in danger of having your driver’s license suspended  because you cannot get the requirements of the court finished by the date given.


 You will be allowed 1 year to complete the court requirements. 

 If you do not complete the requirements in 1 year, your driver’s license will be suspended.

For the one year you have a restricted license, you will be able to drive for the following reasons:

  • To and from work or school 
  • To and from appointments with a health care provider 
  • To and from parole or probation meetings
  • To and from drug and alcohol counseling
  • To and from any place the court requires you to go In the course of employment 
  • In the event of a medical emergency

 These are the ONLY PLACES allowed with the restricted license; if you are found driving elsewhere you will be in violation.


You will need to register with the Kansas Department of Revenue Customer Service Center before you can apply for restricted driving privileges. Go here to read more about it.

Walk-In Address:

Zibell Building
300 SW 29th Street
Topeka, Ks. 66611


Mail-In Address:

Central Office Operations, Division of Vehicles
P.O. Box 12021
Topeka, KS 66612-2021


      You have to send $25 with the written request. This money WILL NOT be given back to you, even when you finish the requirements of the court, or even if your request is denied. 

The fee is in addition to the reinstatement fee.

Make sure to include NAME and KANSAS DRIVER’S LICENSE NUMBER on the letter. You can make a request and get more information by using this interactive interview.  

     Click here.

What if my Kansas driver’s license is expired?

You can participate in this program if your driver’s license is expired, but you must take the following steps – in this order – to qualify:

  • Send in your application (and $25 fee) to participate in the Restricted License program. 
  • If you are eligible for the program, but have an expired Kansas license, you will receive a letter from giving you 15 days to go to any local examination office and apply to renew your license. 
  • You will be allowed to renew your license (and pay the renewal fees of approximately $24) only during this time frame. 

Following the renewal, you will receive a Restricted License.

What can exclude me from the program?

If you have a Driving while Suspended conviction on your record, you will not be allowed to participate in the program. 


Table of Contents