All About the Kansas Low Income Taxpayer Clinic

NOTE:  If you need free help preparing and filing a federal or state tax return, please go to this page.


Here is a video of the webinar presented on February 3, 2022, about tax changes and issues for 2021 filing season, and 

here are the slides of the presentation in English and Español.

Find out if you qualify for Earned Income Tax Credit!

Read about Collection Due Process.

Kansas Legal Services offers aid for low income taxpayers through our Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.


Click on the topic you want to read.

What Is the Kansas Legal Services Low Income Taxpayer Clinic?

Who We Serve


What You Need to Know if You Get a Letter in the Mail from the IRS


Types of Cases Handled 

How to Get Help

What Is the Kansas Legal Services Low Income Taxpayer Clinic?

The Kansas Legal Services Low Income Taxpayer Clinic gives low income taxpayers free legal help on federal tax matters.

We do not help with preparing returns, we help with resolving disputes with federal taxes. We occasionally can help settle tax disputes with the state, but not often.

Go here to get FREE help filing your federal and state. returns.

We never charge a fee for our services. You may have to pay court costs and filing fees.

We are separate from the Internal Revenue Service and the Kansas Department of Revenue. All telephone discussions and interviews are confidential.

Most low-income taxpayers are honest and want to obey the tax laws. Some tax laws change each year. Other tax laws are hard to understand. If you have a problem with the IRS, you might need legal help:

Apply online or call 1-800-723-6953 to apply for help.

Back to Top

Who We Serve

To figure out if we can help you, we look at each person's problem.

We serve low-income taxpayers who have problems with the IRS.

We can serve any taxpayer in Kansas for whom English is a second language.

We help taxpayers who do not already have a lawyer and who cannot afford to pay for a lawyer or tax assistance. We will not handle cases with more than $50,000 in question.

What we consider:

  • whether English is a second language;  
  • current income or income on the return  
  • domestic violence;
  • physical or mental disability;
  • number of family members; and
  • nature and complexity of the tax issue.

Back to Top


Back to Top



What You Need to Know if You Get a Letter in the Mail from the IRS

Each year, the IRS mails millions of notices and letters to taxpayers for a variety of reasons. If you receive correspondence from the IRS:

  1. Don’t panic. You can usually deal with a notice simply by responding to it.
  2. Most IRS notices are about federal tax returns or tax accounts. Each notice has specific instructions, so read your notice carefully because it will tell you what you need to do.
  3. Your notice will likely be about changes to your account, taxes you owe or a payment request. However, your notice may ask you for more information about a specific issue.
  4. If your notice says that the IRS changed or corrected your tax return, review the information and compare it with your original return.
  5. If you agree with the notice, you usually don’t need to reply unless it gives you other instructions or you need to make a payment.
  6. If you don’t agree with the notice, you need to respond. Write a letter that explains why you disagree, and include information and documents you want the IRS to consider. Mail your response with the contact stub at the bottom of the notice to the address on the contact stub. Allow at least 30 days for a response.
  7. For most notices, you won’t need to call or visit a walk-in center. If you have questions, call the phone number in the upper right-hand corner of the notice. Be sure to have a copy of your tax return and the notice with you when you call.
  8. Always keep copies of any notices you receive with your tax records.
  9. Be alert for tax scams. The IRS sends letters and notices by mail. We don’t contact people by email or social media to ask for personal or financial information. If you owe tax, you have several payment options. The IRS won’t demand that you pay a certain way, such as prepaid debit or credit card.
  10. For more on this topic, visit Click on the link ‘Responding to a Notice’ at the bottom center of the home page. Also, see Publication 594, The IRS Collection Process. You can get it on at any time.

If you need to make a payment visit or use the IRS2Go app to make payment with Direct Pay for free, or by debit or credit card through an approved payment processor for a fee.

Each and every taxpayer has a set of fundamental rights they should be aware of when dealing with the IRS. These are your Taxpayer Bill of Rights. Explore your rights and our obligations to protect them on

Additional IRS Resources:

Back to Top


What to do if you get a letter from the IRS (English)               In Espanol                        

In American Sign Language

Back to Top

Types of Cases Handled by Kansas Legal Services' Low Income Taxpayer Clinic

Innocent Spouse Relief Requests

Have you gotten a bill from the IRS for taxes from a joint tax return? Do you believe it would be unfair to hold you liable for these taxes? Depending on your circumstances, your knowledge of the debt, and other factors, such as spouse abuse, you may qualify for relief as an innocent spouse.

We can help you apply for Innocent Spouse Relief and can represent you if the IRS has denied this relief.

Identity Theft

Have you been told you failed to report income that you know you never earned? You may be a victim of identity theft. The Clinic may be able to help you.

Injured Spouse Claims

Have your taxes been withheld to pay a debt you do not owe, such as a defaulted student loan or a child support debt? If you filed a joint return and you had your own income and tax payments on the tax return (tax withholdings, earned income tax credit or additional child tax credit), you may have some relief. The spouse who did not owe the debt may request her portion of the tax refund.

The Clinic can help you file the Injured Spouse Claim and can represent you if the IRS has denied the claim.

Audits or Examinations

 Have you received a letter from the IRS telling you that your tax return is being audited or examined?

The letter may say that the IRS is reviewing your filing status, such as head of household, or certain claimed deductions or credits (dependency exemptions, business deductions,earned income tax credit, child tax credit or childcare credit). We can prepare evidence requested by the auditor, file a request to reconsider, attend meetings with IRS employees on your behalf, or represent you during an audit.

Debt Cancellation

Have you lost your home to foreclosure? The IRS treats forgiven debt as income. We can assist you in determining if that income is taxable.

Earned Income Tax Credit Appeals

The IRS audits many earned income tax credit (EITC) returns. Have you received a letter from the IRS that your earned income tax credit has been denied?

If the IRS determines that the error was reckless or intentional, you cannot claim the EITC for the next two years. If the IRS finds that the error was fraud, you cannot claim the EITC for the next ten years. We can help you appeal the EITC denial and keep your right to claim the EITC in the future.

Deficiency Notices/Tax Court

Have you received a notice from the IRS that there is a "deficiency" in your taxes and that you have 90 days to file a petition to the Tax Court? If you do not file within that time, you lose the right to go to court without first paying the tax. We can help you settle the matter or file a petition to Tax Court.

Liens and Levies

Have you received a notice that the IRS plans to file a lien on your property for past taxes, or a notice that it will levy on your property or garnish your wages? We can help with the lien or levy. We can help you ask for a Collections Due Process Hearing to determine whether the IRS can place a levy on your property.

Negotiations and/or Settlements

Are you unable to pay your tax debt? We may be able to help you with the following options:

  • enter into an installment or payment agreement;

  • place your account in currently not collectible status;

  • make an offer in compromise (settlement) offer;

  • request a taxpayer assistance order if you have a hardship;

  • request temporary suspension of collection, or;

  • challenge the tax if the time period has not expired or proper procedure was not followed.

Employee/Independent Contractor Disputes

Do you have a dispute about whether you are an employee or an independent contractor? You may owe a lot of self-em-ployment taxes. We can help you ask the IRS to change your employment status.

Back to Top

How to Get Help

To find out if we can help, call 1-800-723-6953 -- 7:30 a.m. – 5:45 p.m. (CST)

Or apply online at

Get a brochure about the Kansas Low Income Taxpayer Clinic

Go here to learn about the Taxpayer Advocate Service and find out what resources are available for you

Back to Top

Getting Right with Your Taxes Tips from the Internal Revenue Services

The IRS now using private collection services for tax debts

If you require an accommodation based on a disability or you have difficulty speaking or understanding English, our office can provide a reasonable accommodation at no cost to you.


How helpful do you find the information on this page?

You voted 'Somewhat helpful'.

Add comment

All About the Kansas Low Income Taxpayer Clinic

Table of Contents