Earned Income Tax Credit! Do you qualify?

Kansas Legal Services wants to make life a little easier for workers by alerting them about a special tax credit that can put money in their pockets.

“EITC is a tax benefit for working people and their families and it allows more dollars to flow into our community. It’s money workers can use for groceries, rent, utilities and other bills," said Marilyn Harp, Executive Director of Kansas Legal Services. “We want workers who may qualify for EITC to have all the information they need to get the EITC and get it right.”

The Internal Revenue Service is leading a national effort to increase awareness for the earned income tax credit (EITC).

 In 2018, 25 million eligible tax-filers received about $63 billion in EITC. However, the IRS and U.S. Census Bureau estimate this number only represents 80 percent of those who are EITC eligible—highlighting the need for increased awareness. As part of EITC Awareness Day, the IRS creates ready-made resources for use by interested stakeholders to share with their social networks. 

If you qualify for EITC, you must file a tax return, even if you have no tax to pay, to claim the credit. You earned it, now file, claim it and get it. For the 2018 tax year, the maximum EITC for a tax filer without children is $519 per year. In contrast, the 2018 maximum EITC for a tax filer with one child is $3,461 per year; for two children, $5,716 per year; and for three or more children, $6,431 per year.

With the exception of some who receive certain disability income, you must work for someone or run your own business or farm to qualify for EITC. Workers who made less than $53,505 should see if they qualify for EITC.

If you make less than $53,505, you can get free tax help and return preparation through volunteer sites. IRS-certified volunteers ask the needed questions to find out if you qualify for the EITC and other refundable credits. They also prepare and e-file (file electronically) your return at no cost to you. Find a location for free tax return preparation near you at https://www.irs.gov/individuals/free-tax-return-preparation-for-you-by-volunteers.

Bring the following to make sure our volunteers get you the right amount of credit you earned.

  • A valid driver's license or other photo id card
  • Social security cards, a social security number verification letter for all persons listed on the return
  • Birth dates for all persons listed on return
  • All income statements: Forms W-2 and 1099, Social Security, unemployment, and other statements, such as pensions, stocks, interest and any documents showing taxes withheld. If you run a business or farm, records of all income earned.
  • All records of expenses, such as tuition, mortgage interest or real estate taxes. And, if you run a business or farm, records of all related expenses.
  • Copies of last year's state and federal tax returns, if you have
  • Bank routing numbers and account numbers to direct deposit any refund
  • Dependent child care information: name and address of who you paid and either the caretaker's SSN or other tax identification number
  • Both spouses to sign forms to e-file a joint tax return

Find a volunteer free tax return preparation site at   https://www.irs.gov/individuals/free-tax-return-preparation-for-you-by-volunteers

If you need help resolving a dispute with the IRS, please learn about our Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.

If you need help filing your taxes, many free programs are available.




Earned Income Tax Credit! Do you qualify?

Table of Contents