KLS is still working for you: Apply Online or Call Us

“People’s legal needs don’t disappear during a disaster,” says Marilyn Harp, Executive Director of Kansas Legal Services (KLS), “Their needs can change – become more critical and urgent for families.”

Kansas Legal Services is still working to provide legal assistance during the COVID-19 pandemic. Over 80 people applied for assistance on April 27, for example. While typically KLS staff see thousands of family law cases in a year as well as consumer, elder and housing issues, staff are seeing more employment and housing cases and a rise in the need for legal forms such as living wills and power of attorney for health care.

KLS helped a family become guardians of children whose mother died of COVID-19. Staff have also been assisting with a number of civil legal issues related to stabilizing family security. Help in obtaining unemployment compensation and understanding options for self-employed persons, such as hairdressers and those cleaning houses, has also been provided.

Kansans are encouraged to apply for services online through the KLS website, or call the Application Line at 800-723-6953.

“While the need for our services has always been great, we are committed more than ever to provide the essential legal help to move families through this crisis,” Harp said, “As our mission states: We are legal aid in Kansas providing equal access to justice for the most vulnerable Kansans.”

To reach us you may

         You will leave a message and we will call you back.

Or call our toll free number  800-723-6953


Courts were briefly closed for all non-emergency proceedings (including evictions and foreclosures). As of April 3, 2020, district courts can now resume eviction and foreclosure hearings via phone or video. If an eviction was filed before 3/12/20 or is not related to a Coronavirus related financial hardship, those evictions may now continue. Decisions about whether to hear these cases are now left up to district courts across Kansas.  Please read more about housing-related legal issues here.

I have a court date, but the Courthouse is closed.  What do I do?

With the exception of first appearances and emergency motions, all court dates have been moved or changed to virtual hearings.  If you are represented by an attorney, you should contact your attorney.  If you are representing yourself but the other side has an attorney, contact the other attorney.   Some courts are resetting cases already, and you can call them to get your new court date.  Wait times are extended due to the current situation.  Understand, we are not sure when this shutdown will end, and your court date may move again.  

While the Courthouses are closed, can a Judge do anything to help my situation?  

In most counties, only emergency hearings are being held.  All other hearings are either virtual or moved to a later date.  If it is an emergency, you can file a motion, but there is not guarantee that it will be heard before the courts are open.  If you are represented by an attorney, you should reach out to your attorney. 

If you are in a domestic violence situation, you can still file a protection from abuse or protection from stalking order.  Contact the local domestic violence shelter and they will assist you, or you can call our office and complete an intake for assistance.  



Updated 04/30/2020.



Posted: April 27, 2020