KLS works with the Kansas Department on Aging and Disability Services (KDADS) and the Area Agencies on Aging as a part of the state aging network. Older Americans Act funds are added together with LSC, IOLTA and other private funds to address this growing area of need. 

NEW in May 2016:  You Gave, Now Save -- Guide to Benefits for Seniors

This guide was put out by the National Association of Area Agencies on Aging (n4a) to help seniors  explore options to help meet the costs of daily living.

Assistance may come in the form of a voucher, discounts for goods, and free or reduced-price services. The resources are offered through federal, state and local benefit programs and nearly all are available nationwide.

The Senior Citizen Law Project (SCLP)

The Senior Citizen Law Project (SCLP) gives legal services to persons age 60 and older. SCLP focuses on civil legal issues. The goal is to target older persons who have the greatest needs. Top issues include helping seniors get income and medical assistance needed for their well-being. Another top issue is stopping any abuse of elders.  

SCLP also has an education program.  Elders and workers serving them may learn about elders' rights and protections under the law.

If you or someone you know is a victim of elder abuse, help is available from the Elder Justice Initiative.

Click here to learn more about elder abuse at the Department of Justice Elder Justice Initiative website. 

Click here to find out about programs in Kansas.

Elder Law Hotline 

Elder Law Hotline is a project of KLS. Hotline attorneys answer questions in civil cases for Kansans age 60 or older. Cases may be referred to a local Senior Citizens Law Project attorney or a private attorney. The Elder Law Panel of lawyers is a partnership that KLS has with the Kansas Bar Association.

The Elder Law Hotline serves the rising need for quality elder law services in Kansas. In Kansas, many older persons may have health or physical problems or live in an isolated place.  Because of this, a statewide Hotline service is a good way to get legal services to elderly Kansans.

In 2009, the Kansas Bar Association gave its annual Pro Bono Award to the Elder Law Hotline.  This award recognizes a lawyer or law firm for the delivery of direct legal services free of charge to the poor.

Elder Hotline   888-353-5337

Medicare Interactive

Medicare Interactive will help you with basic questions about Medicare.

Medicare Interactive

Helping you understand the Medicare maze

Medicare Savings Programs

Medicare Savings Programs (MSPs) are programs that help pay for your Medicare medical costs. Remember Part A covers hospital care and Part B covers other medical care. The brochure here goes over the different types of MSPs and what they cover. MSP income and asset limits vary state by state.

The Medicare Savings programs (MSP) do not have any estate recovery requirement. 

If you think you might qualify for any of these benefits, print this application and send it to your local DCF (Kansas Department of Children and Families) office.  (Find your local office on this map:

 http://www.dcf.ks.gov/services/Pages/DCFOfficeLocatorMap.aspx )

Want to learn more about Medicare Savings Programs?   View this brochure.

Ambulance coverage under Medicare

Important reminder about ambulance coverage under Medicare.  The trip must be an emergency.  Click here for more information.

The Kansas Aging and Disability Resource Guide

The Kansas Aging and Disability Resource Guide, put together by the State of Kansas Department for Disability and Aging Services, has general information and will answer commonly asked questions for seniors and those who love and care for them in Kansas. The Kansas Department for Disability and Aging Services website also has many other resources for seniors.  


Advance Directives and Health Care Power of Attorney

Click here for information about Advance Directives including Health Care Power of Attorney, Living Will and Do Not Resuscitate Orders. 

Financial abuse

Did you know that financial abuse of the elderly in Kansas is a crime?  Read more about it here.

Need proof of your Social Security benefit amount?  

You can get that information immediately online.  Go to http://www.socialsecurity.gov/myaccount/  to create an online account and print a copy of your benefit letter. 

Guardianship of grandchildren

Getting guardianship of your grandchildren by Alexandra English, staff attorney in our Kansas City office, was published in the June 2012 edition of the Johnson County Department on Aging newsletter The Best Times. 



Table of Contents