What to Gather in Preparation for Divorce
The following list is an excerpt from the Divorce 101 page.
- Be sure to check it out if you are considering a divorce in Kansas.
Below is a list of documents and information you will need to gather and keep in a safe place:
- Have contact information for both you and the other party. This includes family members and employers.
- Social Security numbers of all the parties, including the children.
- Date of births of all the parties, including children.
- State of birth of all the parties, including children.
- Necessary Documentation:
- Credit reports for you and your spouse. (Each person can pull one credit report per year at www.annualcreditreport.com).
- Copy of credit card statements (at least the last three months, including transactions). If you don’t have a copy, most credit card companies will allow you to print off up to twelve months of reports from their websites.
- Bank account information, including transaction reports.
- Current pay stubs for both parties
- At least last year’s tax returns. If you don’t have these you can request a copy from the IRS.
- List of assets:
- Real Estate (legal descriptions of all property owned by you and your spouse, or each of you individually, or with other parties).
- Bank accounts
- Retirement accounts
- List of all monthly expenses (and copies of debts)
- Monthly household expenses
- Cell phone
- School expenses
- Medical expenses
**Once you have gathered the above information, keep it in a safe place. You will need to be able to retrieve the documents even if you are Court Ordered out of the marital house. **
Be sure to check out the Divorce 101 page for more information on preparing for and filing a divorce in Kansas.