Get Help

Woman's profile with hand over mouth

Watch this short video about how to get legal assistance from Kansas Legal Services and other available legal resources.

Getting Legal Assistance   

Individuals seeking legal assistance must first apply.  Our field offices can't answer any questions or give legal advice until they have an application on file.

Kansas Legal Services  gives free or low cost civil legal advice and representation for persons whose incomes make them eligible. You will find out if you are eligible for legal assistance by talking with an Intake Specialist, whether you apply online or call our intake line.  

You can apply for legal assistance by filling out our Online Application or by phone 1-800-723-6953. 

You may fill out our Online Application any time you have access to the internet. We will try to call you within a week, longer if we are having a heavy volume of applications. 

We will email or call you at the contact information you gave in the application. The Intake Specialist will talk with you to figure out if you are eligible for services.  

You can fill out the Online Application anytime day or night, whenever you can get online, on a computer, phone or tablet.

Call toll-free 1-800-723-6953 (Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.) and talk with an Intake Specialist.  

KLS handles cases in these areas of law: consumer, employment,  family, juvenile, health, housing, income maintenance and individual rights law. Please see our complete listing of cases we may be able to take.

Lawyer Referral

The Kansas Bar Association provides a service called Lawyer Referral. You can call their toll-free number to get a referral to a lawyer that will suit your needs.

KBA Lawyer Referral Service Contact Info   1-800-928-3111

Self Representation

Kansas Legal Services provides free online legal forms as a service to low income Kansans to solve legal issues on their own. We also want to help busy Kansas courts.

Forms are easy to use, interactive forms that will give you the documents you need for filing or responding to legal actions in Kansas district courts. 

Please note, it is always best to talk to a lawyer before moving along in a court case on your own. 

Elder Law Hotline


For any Kansan over 60.

Access to Justice Advice Line

Please get this phone number from your local district court clerk.   This hotline gives special access to district courts and persons referred to KLS by district courts in pro se (self-represented) and domestic law matters.

Children's Advocacy Resource Center


A resource for guardians ad litem, social workers, judges and child advocates..

Foster Care Helpline

1-877-298-2674 or  234-8345 in Topeka

The Helpline provides up-to-date information about the foster care system to foster children, parents and others.

Last updated on .

Table of Contents


    News & publications

    The news about recent activities for needed peoples.

    More News

    30 May 2023

    ellen b

    Change your gender marker on your Kansas birth certificate before July 1

      Kansas Legal Services attorney Ellen Bertels explains how to change…

    Continue Reading

    22 May 2023

    on phone and computer

    About the Drug Registry Project: Kansas drug offenders have a way off of drug registry

      How does the new law allowing removal of the drug registry…

    Continue Reading

    Our Partners

    LSC's support for this website is limited to those activities that are consistent with LSC restrictions.