Small Claims Court - Basic Information

Kansas small claims court was established in 1973 to provide a simple, informal procedure for people to settle smaller legal problems cheaply and quickly. Americans have always had the right to represent themselves in a courtroom. In small claims court, the parties represent themselves on small legal matters without attorneys.

  • Small claims court is only for simple cases to recover money or property worth less than $4,000.00.
  • You cannot be represented by a lawyer in small claims.
  • No person can file more than 20 small claims cases in one calendar year.
  • The sheriff's office charges a fee to personally serve a summons.

Filing a Small Claims Case:

  • Go to the Clerk of the District Court office in the County where the defendant resides.
  • Have with you the name and address of the person being sued.
  • The Clerk will provide you with a small claims filing packet.
  • You may fill out the petition in the office or take it home to complete.
  • When you turn in the completed petition, you must pay the filing fee and sheriff's charge if the summons is to be served personally.
  • The Clerk will process the petition and set a trial date for your case.


Here is a brochure from the Kansas Bar Association that may answer any more questions you have about small claims courts in Kansas.

Last updated on .

Table of Contents


    News & publications

    The news about recent activities for needed peoples.

    More News

    28 Sep 2022

    3 black women

    The Biden-Harris Student Debt Relief Plan Explained

    What the program means for you, and what comes next Get details about one…

    Continue Reading

    28 Sep 2022

    hands holding join our team sign

    Job Opportunities at Kansas Legal Services

    ATTORNEY - EMPORIA Kansas Legal Services - Emporia seeks a staff attorney to…

    Continue Reading

    Our Partners

    LSC's support for this website is limited to those activities that are consistent with LSC restrictions.