Family Law

See All Topics
The Johnson County District Court Help Center is designed primarily to assist those who cannot afford an attorney in family law cases and in eviction cases. The Help Center is located on the first floor of the Johnson County Courthouse, (100 N. Kansas Avenue, Olathe.) “The Help Center was designed to meet the constitutional right of all citizens for access to our courts but who are unable to afford legal representation,” says Keven M. P. O'Grady. Johnson County District Court Judge.
All the information one needs to know about getting, modifying, challenging and other issues about child support in Kansas.
All Kansas Judges use the Kansas Child Support guidelines to figure the Child Support paid.  It is the duty of the parties to bring a worksheet prepared following those rules to Court at the time of the final divorce hearing. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions about interactive interviews. 
Wrong Father’s Name on the Birth Certificate Question: I signed the birth certificate of a child thinking she was mine.  I have since learned that the child is not mine. The mother has filed for child support and I had papers served on me. Is there anything I can do to get my name taken off the birth certificate? What should I do now?   A review of Kansas law related to paternity is here.
The Children’s Advocacy Resource Center (CARC) has been a part of Kansas Legal Services since 1999. CARC is a statewide program providing complete support and legal services to people serving and caring for homeless children and children involved in our state foster care system.   CARC operates a toll-free helpline for foster youth.
Guide There are two ways to change your name in Kansas: You can either petition for a change of name or ask for your former name to be restored to you as part of a divorce.  The PDF guide pictured below outlines the two options.
This coloring book helps children understand what they will face when going to court, including meeting judges, attorneys, and counselors. 
These forms are provided by Kansas courts for use in filing for a Protection from Abuse order in Kansas. This link will take you to a variety of forms used in this type of court action. After reviewing the other forms, you must complete the Petition for Protection Order. If there are children involved, you must complete the UCCJEA Affidavit. These forms should be taken to the Clerk of the District Court, located in the County Courthouse.
This is a complete set of the Kansas Protection from Abuse forms in English, with a Spanish translation underneath. The form should be completed in English, as much as possible, as the Court personnel who must review the forms may not be able to understand information provided in Spanish.    

Our Partners

LSC's support for this website is limited to those activities that are consistent with LSC restrictions.