Please check this page frequently for the latest in news that affects you as a consumer. 

We also have several free legal forms on our Free Legal Forms page that help with Consumer problems.

Brochure on services offered by Kansas Legal Services

Do you know how the U.S. Consumer Financial Protection Bureau has helped YOU? 

 Important News if Your Social Security Benefits Have Been Cut Off    

The office of the State Bank Commissioner of Kansas can help if your Social Security benefits have been garnished and your bank didn't stop it from happening.  Go here.

About Obamacare

Consumer News


Are you a consumer with a complaint or desiring more information?

Consumer Assistance


Here is a link to the Office of the State Bank Commissioner of Kansas where you can file a complaint  about a bank or financial institution or find consumer-related resources that may be helpful to you.

Identity Theft

Tax Identity Theft Awareness

Check out our Identity Theft page

Another resource for learning more about Identity Theft that helps you

  • determine if you are the victim of Identity Theft and
  • how to recover from Identity Theft is here.

The Federal Trade Commission has created this resource to help consumers.  The letters suggested in this booklet can be created through the interactive interviews below.

The Federal Trade Commission offers forms and sample letters for victims

of identity theft that help you get started.


Debt Collection - Loans

Debt Relief


Payday Loans

Notice to Creditor - If  all your income is from Social Security, you are entitled to notify your creditor of this fact.  This may discourage a creditor from going the the process of bank account attachment. Use this form to notify any creditor.  A copy should be filed with the Court and a copy sent to the Creditor.  No court costs are required for filing this notice.

Your bank should help you in notifying the creditor that only Social Security money goes to your account.  The Bank is required to protect an amount up to total of two months of your Social Security benefits. If the bank doesn't help, you can file a complaint with the Controller of Currency, a Federal agency that oversees most banks.  You can learn more about the bank's obligation regarding attachment  here.

Obama Cuts Student-Debt Collector Commissions to Aid Borrowers




Bankruptcy Counseling and Education through Housing & Credit Counseling, Inc. (HCCI)

Kansas Legal Services provides consumer bankruptcy legal services through our Reduced Fee program.  This program is limited to families or individuals with income at 250% of the Federal poverty guideline.  Contact Kansas Legal Services at 1-800-723-6953 Or please apply online.



How to Get a Free Credit Report  in English   or  Espanol

Credit Report Dispute Letter  Read about it here.

For tips from The National Consumer Law Center on what to check in your credit report, click here

To file a credit reporting complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, a government agency that oversees the credit reporting industry, click here



How to Get Help with Your Mortgage or Foreclosure

The National Mortgage Settlement will offer various forms of relief for distressed families who qualify. Details are still being ironed out, but this preliminary guide offers information for those who may be eligible.

FAQs on Emergency Homeonwners' Loan Program


Fair Housing Rights    

in   English    or   Espanol 

HUD Online Housing Complaint -- file it online       

Avoiding Foreclosure

Kansas Tenant Rights

Protection for Domestic Violence Survivors in Federally Subsidized Housing


Table of Contents