Affidavit to Declare Bank Account Only Contains Social Security
This affidavit can be filed pre or post judgment in a court action.
- Filing it, when true, cautions the creditor from attachment on the account.
- The controller of the Currency has set up rules that require banks to protect up to 2 months worth of Social Security and not pay that out under attachment of the account.
- Any debtor has the right to claim the exemption of ALL Social Security funds in a bank account.
- This must be done within 10 days of the attachment.
- Kansas Legal Services may be able to help low income persons in claiming this exemption.