Driver's License Issues in Kansas

Birds' eye view of hands on a steering wheel

Watch this video on the changes in Kansas.

Go here to see the 2024 schedule for driver's license clinics to help you get a suspended license reinstated in Kansas.

The Kansas Legislature passed SB 127, which became effective on May 6, 2021, made some changes that can really help people who have a suspended driver's license. 

Among the Changes from SB 127

People who have an expired license are not kept out of the Restricted Driver's License program because they have a driving while suspended conviction. 

You can reinstate your driving privilege, on a restricted basis, even if you got a driving while suspended conviction and then your license expired while you were suspended.

How Do I Apply for This? 

You may apply directly using the form below.  If you have ever had a Kansas license, you will be considered for this program.

If your license is expired for over one year, you may have to apply at a local driver's license office to take the written test, the vision test and most likely a driving test. 

You need access to a car to do this (but have someone drive you, since you don't have a license.)  

You are exempted from having a driver's license during the driving test, since you have an examiner in the car with you.

NOTE: Persons in Wichita should use the City of Wichita fines and fees reduction packet (below in a fillable form).

Find the Form Here

Use this form even if it says there is a $25 fee.  You don't have to send in the fee.

There is no longer a fee to apply for the Restricted Driver's Program, based on failure to pay a traffic ticket. This fee used to be $25 and was not refunded, even if you didn't qualify for the program.

If you are struggling to pay fines and court costs, you can ask the Judge to reduce or waive those charges.  When paid or waived (ordered not due to the Court) you can get your driver's license reinstated.

The Judge can also waive the reinstatement fee charged to get your driver's license reinstated.

Forms for making both these requests are available below, including instructions on how to fill out the forms.  Instructions and Packet of Drivers License Forms

An extra 90 day suspension or revocation after the terms of the original suspension are met has been removed.

An informational webinar on Driver's License Issues in Kansas was held July 21, 2020. Here are the slides of the presentation .

Driver's License Status

If you want to check the status of your Kansas Driver’s License, click here.

Suspended Driver's License

Updated numbers from the Kansas Department of Revenue show that more than 213,000 Kansans have suspended licenses, about half of them from Sedgwick County and the City of Wichita. Around 71% of these suspensions are a direct result of unpaid fines and court fees. In some situations, drivers with suspended licenses are able to apply for a restricted license. A restricted license allows a person to drive:

  • To and from work and school
  • To and from drug or alcohol counseling
  • To and from an appointment with a healthcare provider or during a medical emergency
  • In the course of your employment
  • Any place you are required to go by a court                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
  • Restricted licenses give you up to 12 months to pay off fines and court fees before your license is resuspended. That form can be found at .

Before you apply, it is important that you pay any reinstatement or administrative fees to the DMV. If you are unsure if you owe a reinstatement or administrative fee, contact Driver's Solutions at 785-296-3671 option 3.

Once you have a completed form, you can either submit it online through the DOR Customer Service Center or you can mail it and the application fee to: 

  • Division of Vehicles
  • Driver Solutions
  • PO Box 12021
  • Topeka KS 66612-2021

DUIs and Ignition Interlock Devices

If you have had a DUI conviction, you likely have been told that you need to get an ignition interlock device installed in your vehicle. The State of Kansas published an amendment to the Ignition Interlock Program stating that "all new ignition interlock devices will include a camera starting January 8, 2020."  Information on the Ignition Interlock Program including where to get the device installed or removed can be found at .

What if I was supposed to get an ignition lock more than 5 years ago, but haven’t done it? Is there a waiver option?

If you meet the requirements established by state law, you can seek a waiver of the ignition interlock requirement. Those rules are:

  • Five years have passed since the court order that you must have an ignition interlock,
  • You have not had an alcohol or drug related conviction during the period of your ignition interlock restriction (5 years or longer, if any extension was added), and
  • During your period of restriction, you have not had any of these convictions:
    • Transportation of liquor in opened container (KSA 8-1599)Purchase or consumption of alcoholic beverage by minor (KSA 41-727)
    •  Any conviction listed in K.S.A 8-285(a) (Habitual violator)
    •  A revocation, suspension, cancellation, or withdrawal of your driving privileges due to another action by the division or a court; and
  • At the time of submitting this request to the division, you do not have any pending charges or proceedings involving any violations listed above.

The form to complete is here:

The  form is also posted below for download.

Driving Tests and Driver's Education

Disclaimer: The DMV is not doing driving tests right now. All written tests and vision tests are by appointment; some of the appointments are scheduled over phone and others are scheduled online through Q-Flow.

Some people fear taking their driving tests. If you want to feel more prepared for the written test, you can take practice versions online at or . You can find a copy of the driver's handbook online at or ask for a hard copy from your local DMV.

There are many online Driver Education courses being offered over the Internet. Internet courses do not meet requirements for a Driver's License in Kansas.

The only programs approved by the State of Kansas for Driver Education purposes are programs offered through a local, accredited school district and approved by the Department of Education.

A certificate of completion from an Internet Driver Education course will not be accepted for getting a license.

If you are unsure whether a program has been approved, you may contact the Department of Education at 785-296-8107 or the Kansas Division of Vehicles at 785-296-3671.

You can find driver's education classes at AbilityKC and the Kansas Department of Education

Eligibility to Apply for a Restricted License?

To find out if you are eligible for a Restricted Driver's License, please go through this guide that will ask you some questions to determine your eligibility.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

I was in an uninsured accident.  Driver's Solutions told me that I needed a release of liability from the other driver in this case.  What does the release of liability need to say?

  • You can create a form for this release of liability through the link below.  This creates a mutual release of liability in which you are releasing the other driver from any liability to you, as well as getting a release from that person.  This should be used in a situation where this an appropriate outcome.
  • You will need a release of liability from every person in the car when the wreck occurred (as listed on the police report.  You cannot get a release from a person under age 18.  You will also need a release from the owner of the other car, even if they weren't in the accident.  You should create a separate form for each of these persons.
  • If you believe the other driver was at fault and want to get money from them for medical bills, loss of wages from work or damage to your vehicle, do NOT use this form, as it is written.  If that is your situation, use only the top paragraph of the form.  You will need to change the title to Release of Liabilty and remove the last paragraph. 
  • You can use this link to create a document on LawHelp Interactive, a national server that hosts forms created by Kansas Legal Services staff.  You can create an account or not.  You can only save your answers if you create an account.  You can download and print this form.  You can email it to yourself.  You will need the name of the other persons involved, as listed above.  You will need the date and location of the accident to complete the form.
  • Get the form here:

My license is revoked, am I able to get a restricted license?

  • No, unfortunately once your license is revoked, you will have a waiting period of three years before you can get any valid license.  The exact date you are eligible will show up in the driver’s license status check.

What do I need to do to get a restricted license?

  • First you will want to make sure you are eligible. You can do so by using our Guide Clearly tool under the Suspended License heading. If you are eligible, you can fill out the form the guide links you to. 

Is there any way to waive my reinstatement fee?

  • You can petition the court to waive your reinstatement fee. In order to do so, you will need to fill out a Reinstatement Fee Waiver and a Financial Affidavit. The Financial Affidavit must be signed in front of a notary. 

Why is my reinstatement fee or administrative fee so high?

  • The DMV tacks on higher administrative fees for habitual violators. Some things that can lead to higher reinstatement fees include: refusing preliminary breath tests, DUIs, and driving while suspended convictions. If you are unsure about why your fee is higher than usual, you can ask driver's solutions for a break down of the costs and for a copy of your driving record.

Once I have a restricted license, how do I get it unrestricted?

  • Restricted licenses allow you to have 12 months from the date you are granted a restricted license to pay off any and all outstanding court costs and fees. Once you successfully pay off all of your court costs and fees, you can get your unrestricted license. If you do not pay off all of your court costs and fees within 12 months, your restricted license will become suspended.

Can I take my written driver’s test online?

  • No. Although there are many practice tests and study resources, the written driver’s test is only offered in person. Any online test or online driver’s education course will not fulfill the test requirements to obtain a driver’s license.

What if my name or birthdate on my driver’s license doesn’t match my birth certificate?

  • If you have a different name or date of birth on your driver’s license than your birth certificate, you will need to show proof of your identity to the DMV to get this fixed. If the name on your driver’s license is correct and you need a legal name change to modify your birth certificate, you can find name change petitions here.

I had an identity theft issue that is affecting my driver's license, what do i do?

  • If you have an issue with identity theft that is affecting your driver's license, you can open up a case with the DMV's identity theft team. You may need to request court records in order to establish your identity or to prove that someone else impersonated you. Court records may contain signatures or contact information of individuals. If someone was arrested under your identity, you may also want to contact the jail they were booked at and requesting a booking photo. These requests can take a couple business days. 

Driver's Solutions

If you have additional questions regarding you driver's license, please call Driver's Solutions at 785-296-3671 option 3.

Additional Help

Apply to Kansas Legal Services for Additional Help

If you need help getting your license reinstated or getting a restricted license, please fill out our online application.

Last updated on .
How helpful do you find the information on this page?
Please tell us why this page wasn't helpful
About text formats

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Web page addresses and email addresses turn into links automatically.

Table of Contents


    News & publications

    The news about recent activities for needed peoples.

    More News

    6 Apr 2024

    black man with phone

    Kansas Elder Hotline - Free Legal Advice for Seniors

    Did you know Kansas residents age 60 or older might have free legal…

    Continue Reading

    6 Mar 2024


    Job Opportunities at Kansas Legal Services

    PARALEGAL - PRO BONO ASSISTANT - WICHITA Kansas Legal Services seeks a full…

    Continue Reading

    Our Partners

    LSC's support for this website is limited to those activities that are consistent with LSC restrictions.