Public Benefits

See All Topics
The Affordable Connectivity Program is an FCC benefit program that helps ensure that households can afford the broadband they need for work, school, healthcare and more. You can see a video about the program here.
  As you may know, Kansas Legal Services is part of the national legal aid movement that was born in the War on Poverty in the early 1960s.  KLS grew out of the movement that believed everyone deserved equal access to justice, without regard to their ability to pay for services. The National Legal Aid and Defender Association (NLADA) has a film about the history of civil legal aid in the United States on their website.
The following information is for people who got a Notice of Overpayment from the Social Security Administration (SSA). The information is from a website called Learn the that is information put together by Statewide Legal Services, and Center for Computer-Assisted Learning (CALI) to help people with common legal aid problems.
Individuals released from incarceration may be eligible for Social Security retirement, survivors, or disability benefits if you have worked or paid into Social Security enough years or Supplemental Security Income benefits if you are 65 or older, or are blind, or have a disability and have little or no income and resources.
Have you lost SSI, Social Security disability, or retirement benefits because of a  PROBATION or PAROLE VIOLATION WARRANT? In April 2012 in the class action lawsuit Clark v. Astrue, the court ordered the Social Security Administration (SSA) to change its policies – SSA can no longer deny benefits to people based solely on an outstanding probation or parole violation warrant.  Who is affected by this court order?
You may be eligible for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) or more commonly known as foodstamps.  This website, 
Are you eligible for food stamps, child care subsidy, health insurance from the government?  To apply for SNAP (Food Stamp) benefits, TANF (cash assistance), Child Care Subsidy, find the application here.  You do not need to be eligible for or want all these benefits. One application is considered for all these programs. Both English and Spanish versions of the application are available.
In Kansas, the Department for Children and Familiy Services administers the federal Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. Read about it here.  Another good resource is GrowStrongKansas
DCF Online is the Kansas Department for Children and Families online request for benefits and services. Here's how DCF Online can help you: If you would like to get printable copies of claims for DCF services click this link.

Our Partners

LSC's support for this website is limited to those activities that are consistent with LSC restrictions.