Family Law

See All Topics
The Children’s Advocacy Resource Center (CARC)  is a statewide program dedicated to providing legal advice or services to families caring for children in or at risk of entering the foster care system. CARC also provides resources for legal professionals who represent children or work as Guardians ad Litem. 
Here is a new video guide to help with filling out paperwork in a do-it-yourself name change. This video is a product of a collaboration with the Kansas City Center for Inclusion.
Table of Contents Click on the article you wish to read, or scroll down through them.
Table of Contents Click on the article you wish to read, or scroll down through them.
Hay servicios disponibles para todos los residentes de Kansas de 20 años de edad o menos, incluso para los individuos que estén o hayan estado en régimen de acogida . Muchísimos recursos a su alcance Asistencia y resolución de problemas por teléfono para ayudar a resolver la crisis de salud conductual de un niño Apoyo por teléfono con recomendaciones de recursos de la comunidad o para participar en servicios de estabilización Asistencia en persona a través del servicio de respuesta movil a crisis si la crisis no se puede resolver por teléfono
Kansas Department of Children and Families launched the Mobile Crisis Helpline for additional support for eligible Kansans in need during a crisis.  
Guidance for Pro Se Minor Name Changes   This guide is intended to help people residing in Kansas legally change the name of a minor child without the representation of an attorney.
This page will help you understand the process for changing the gender marker on a Kansas birth certificate. The processes are slightly different for birth certificates of adults and minors. There are different guides at the bottom of this page for each type of change. Be sure to read the correct guide for your situation.
This page is intended to be a guide for all issues involving children. Whether you are a child or have a child and need an answer, we'll help you get to the right place.  Don't know where to go next? Just answer the questions in the guide and let it do the work for you!  It'll help you get to the right starting point for your issue.         
The Johnson County District Court Help Center is designed primarily to assist those who cannot afford an attorney in family law cases and in eviction cases. The Help Center is located on the first floor of the Johnson County Courthouse, (100 N. Kansas Avenue, Olathe.) “The Help Center was designed to meet the constitutional right of all citizens for access to our courts but who are unable to afford legal representation,” says Keven M. P. O'Grady. Johnson County District Court Judge.

Our Partners

LSC's support for this website is limited to those activities that are consistent with LSC restrictions.